Sunday, March 2, 2014

School Happenings

Between teaching a young age, experiencing private school and the cultural norms of a South Florida society I am taking away life lessons everyday this year. I'm also busy with lots of events the school plans for the kids and families. The 2 big events as of late have been the 3 year old Circus and the Dinner Auction.  I was glad the dinner auction just required me showing up as the circus had my head spinning a little.  It's ironic that we spent 3 weeks with the kids preparing for a circus since I consider everyday happenings in my classroom fairly close to the acts of a traveling show. However, we prepared tightrope walkers and Dalmatian acts and each of the kids preformed without tears, screams, or injuring themselves.  That in itself makes for a successful production.  I was able to endure my worst nightmare of standing in front of room full of parents dressed like a clown and talking into a microphone with a slight fever...so that was fun.  :) The kids were cute and it was encouraging to see them do something with confidence that they never would have done on day 1 of school.



The school has a great group of sweet young teachers so I've been able to make a couple buddies and have girl days which I haven't had for a while.  Between teacher talk, girl talk, and margs on the beach- we've enjoyed getting to know each other.
(This was taken during a bird attack due to a couple of vacationing kids who thought it would be fun to feed the seagulls. Of course this is the logical thing to do as a kid but it resulted in a group of screaming adult girls. :)). 


The Dinner Auction is one of the big fundraises that is put on every year. From skybox seats, safaris, and convertible leases, my paddle didn't get much action.  But the parents have some fun trips to go on and the school definitely prospered.  I left Will behind but he will be joining next year so he can experience the excitement and meet the parents who were curiously asking about the other half.  :)

Embarrassingly enough, the highlight of my night might have been using my new vintage clutch from my sister....:) Thanks Jen!

Each class auctions off a class project that is made with one of our classroom parents.  Ours was the Fort Lauderdale skyline in their fingerprints.  I'm kind of regretting letting this one go...so cute! Our art table might have a similar project before the end of the year for Mrs. Cousin to give herself.  


Busy weeks make us appreciate our weekends with each other and friends.  Lately relaxing as meant hangin' at home watching too many episodes of The Americans or dinner at new places.
Below is last weekend dinner and drinks with our friends Kyra and Jeff.  A celebratory Peanut Butter and Jelly beer (!) was in order since she just finished nursing school and passed the final exams.  Woo! Congrats Kyra!


No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors