Tuesday, May 17, 2011

April showers bring May... Mushrooms.

It's May; and for the last four years of my life this has meant something new.  Mushroom hunting.  I had never heard of mushroom hunting before Will's introduction but whenever I mention it around this town everyone knows exactly what I'm talking about and responds with their own stories about their findings.  At first I thought it was very boring, partly because I have NEVER found the beloved Morel mushroom.  However, after being cooped up for the winter, trudging through the woods on a sunny day sounds wonderful.  Will and I have ventured out a few times and have found TWO measly mushrooms.  With this being said, I usually get distracted with other interesting findings and Will mushroom hunts like he fishes.  After five minutes of staring at the ground he dubs it as "the wrong spot" and we have to move on to spot #2.  We follow the mushroom hunting rules of determining proper weather, finding dead elms, blah blah blah (I think these are old husband's tales) but we have yet to bring home the bags full everyone else seems to find.  Ah, oh well. I keep myself entertained and the thrill of hunting (even if it's fungus) does start to get exciting.




Somewhere Will read that dandelions are edible and even have health benefits.  We are always up for free food so Will thought we should "fry 'em up".  They went in the garbage soon after we got home and didn't make it to the frying pan.  


No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors