Friday, January 8, 2010

Ringing in the New Year

Historically, banging pots and pans, yelling at the top of one's lungs, and homemade noise makers were used to create overhelming noise at midnight to scare off the evil spirits for the year. In Denmark, they "smashed in the new year" by banging on the doors of their friends' homes and throwing pieces of broken pottery against the sides of the houses. In Japan, dancers went from house to house making strange noises and rattling and pounding bamboo sticks and banging on drums. USA 2010, Will and Ashley Mae Cousin welcomed the New Year in the comfort of our jamas and giant couch...at 11:00. Even better, we had Will's parents down the hall and Jonny down the street enjoying the resolution celebration. Some may say lame...but I say there are three things perfect with this picture that beats other's ten dollar cocktails and crowded venues. 1. I saw the re-run of the ball drop, that I could not have seen at the Mill Ave. block party. 2. I got a FEW New Years kisses while waering no make-up and PJ's. 3. I had the comfort of knowing a portion of our family were footsteps away and I would be well rested the next morning to spend time with each of them. Therefore, it was a success and worth the early night. ------- It was wonderful to have my in-laws in town! Although I have made giant leaps toward wifehood, there are still things that mother's notice and know that haven't yet been added to the wisdom of a young wife. I am now complete with a hair blow dryer that has been produced in the last ten years and Will had something better to shave with other than a hatchet. Woo! Thank you Malissa for the quiter mornings and increased blood flow in Will's face. It takes a secure Iowa fan to put pro-Iowa state gear but it was the next best thing based on location and timing. Along with our friends, we enjoyed a little bit of Iowa enthusiasm as Iowa State played some other team. I still do not know who won, I did not watch a single play, and my six dollar nachos were far from filling. The rest of the week Bob and Mo showed US around to the hoppin' places to dine and shop. We did much relaxing which was needed for everyone staying at the Cousin Suite.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors