Wednesday, May 16, 2012

"I'm a Teacher: What's Your Superpower?"




Come August, I will be a Pre-K teacher in a small Iowa town.  I am SO EXCITED! In a couple days when it has settled in that I'm employed and will have 40 little faces starring at me in a few months awaiting my direction (or running around not caring about my direction), I will most likely start freaking out a little.  But for now, I HAVE A JOB! A career job! A job that I have gone to school for that applies my expertise and passions! I am real-life teacher!

A week ago I had the interview and I have been biting my tongue in prayer not to say, "Please give me the job!", but rather "it's your plan" (major fail on several occasions).  True to college's analysis procedure (and Jorgensen procedure), I believed God would want a reason why I wanted a teaching job.  I really thought about it.  Would it be nice to say to the snooty know-it-alls, "Yeah, I'm already employed", or get to creating the cutest classroom in the district? Yes, it would be.  But, I need to aim to have the purest of hearts with my request. It would also be nice to get a paycheck, for Will and I to reclaim some stability, and to use my education.  I do think the latter are reasonable reasons, but when going into teaching, one will not get through the days without keeping the kids the focus. You don't really get into teaching for the money or status, so keeping the main thing the main thing may keep the motivation going for a bit longer.  So that left me with the kids.  What do I want them to get out of my classroom?  What do I want to show them? Obviously, I want them to learn their ABC's and 123's and academically/socially/physically reach their greatest potential.  And I expect them to do just that.  With effective instruction, expectations, productive play, and many other things, I know this will happen.  So what is going to be unique about my classroom that may have a greater personal impact on little 4-year olds than knowing what the letter "A" says and throwing a ball?  I have come to the conclusion (as of now) that I want my classroom characterized by grace.  While discipline is essential, I want them to know that although they may make mistakes, misbehave, or test my patience, they still have a special place in the classroom and are accepted.  Each day will be a new start.   No matter the smacks, spit, tantrums, etc. I get the previous day, they will be greeted the next day with a smile and hug.  It may seem small, but I'm thinkin' with forty 4-year olds it's tougher than you think. I actually am unsure this is humanly possible, but I think it's a good approach.
This is my tatic as of now.  Talk to me in a few months and see if it's holding up :).  I will try my best to implement this practice and some days it may be completely insincere.  There will be days I am saying chipper "Hello's" through gritted teeth. We'll see.

Will is very excited as well.  He has forever been dating/married to a college student so this will be a good change.  It has given us both encouragement for planning the future and starting the next phase of life.  So far, I'm lovin' this phase- I've gotten flower bouquets twice in 2 weeks! Whoa.




1 comment:

Marme said...

There will be forty four year olds that will be very blessed to have you as their teacher!

Blog Archive

Contributors