Monday, January 18, 2010

Burn after reading

My sister and I took a different approach to high school than Erik did. We left behind no legend, no names on walls, minor awards, and quiet spirits. As opposed to Erik, our names are probably not known among the upcoming students and teacher's won't recognize our faces in Target. However, we did leave behind the most important success and we knew it was crucial to this achievement that we remain as much a part of the wood work as possible. This is a talent that feeds off silence and trickery. Sacrafices must be made and friends cannot. At most, only one other person can be involved. You can trust no one when in action. I have two words for you. GYM. CLASS. Jenny can probably tell you the exact amount of gum that was stuck under bleacher number 15 during the years of 1997-2000 during lap runs. I can tell the miticulous steps to take to accomplish swimming sessions/tests without 1, getting your hair wet and 2, without actually swimming. Running the dreaded mile? Be sure to bring extra popsicle sticks or whatever the gym class before you used to count laps. Sit up test? You're golden going with a few less then the class average so you will show improvement when you actually do record the class avg. next test. I've got many, many more baby. Those aren't even the best. Anyway, my hatred for gym class is tri-fold. Here are a few reasons: *For the music students "early bird gym" began at 6:15. Therefore, I was going to gym class when it was still dark and the temp at not hit the high of 0 yet. *My first and nearly only, D came from gym. This was before "the talent" was crafted. *Fitting a schoolbag, a violin, AND a giant gym bag in a locker was near impossible. Add a locker partner freshman year and we're talkin' tears. I still need to apologize to my locker neighbor for contortding the sides of my locker so that his would no longer open. All for gym. *Revealing the deformed, bird-like, strucutre of one's run is nothing to be revealed in a room filled with teenage peers. That's just cruel. However, the number one reason my gym-dodging talent was so accomplished was because my body and mind lacked what athletes must relay on: coordination. All four of my limbs do different things when confronted with physical activity. It's interesting really and I have not had to re-realize this for a good four years. Then, I decided it was our Arizonian duty to climb a mountain. It did not take Will long to soon discover that one eye...and hand on me was best if we wanted to get home with all limbs, noses, and digits intact. Will and Amanda were desert monkeys, of course. Regardless of the awakwardness, the scenery was GORGEOUS and it was good to get some fresh air.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Those gym class memories are priceless. I can't believe you climbed a mountain...those pictures brough back horrid memories from that aweful hike in Utah that was uphill both ways in the dessert heat with no water and wearing blue jeans. haha. Glad you had fun!

Blog Archive

Contributors