Sunday, August 17, 2014

Back to School 2

Although I don't have the kids yet school is in full swing.  This is my 3rd year in the education world and I'm beginning to feel more confident in my field and eager to concentrate more on "how can I do it better" rather than "just survive"! Through talking with some friends that aren't familiar with the education field I got the hint that they think I've just been decorating all week.  Ha! I wish! Decorating the classroom and setting up is just one part of preparing for a class.  If you walk through our room when school is in full swing it may look like organized chaos and of course, so much fun and play but I've come to think the younger the kids, the more organized you need to be.  If I'm not organized and have no system to EVERYTHING in the classroom- I have no hope managing a group of 3's and 4's.  So each step, transition, and activity of the day is analyzed in hopes of detouring away from disasters and addressing all the many, many surprises with as much "calm" as one can.

Looking back to my first year there are so many things I have learned and grown from.  I love to see brand new teachers putting together all their Pinterest lessons and ADORABLE crafts but I can't help but think, "That will never work" or "You will never use that" because I was there 2 years ago.  I'm still learning everyday and there are many things that I'll try this year that will fall flat but that's what I love about my job- I'm constantly learning along with the kids and in a safe place where I can make mistakes and try new things.  Bless my assistant's heart who has 20+ years under her belt for not calling me out and letting me learn :).

I had someone say to me this week, "I could never imagine putting my 3 year old in school." I'm still trying to interpret this comment (and not be offended) but when I took this job and during the first semester I was having a hard time fully believing in what I was doing too.  But now that I've seen what my kids could do at the end of  the year and the memories we built I truly believe we are doing wonderful things for these kids.  We are planting seeds and preparing them to be the best they can be.
We are well aware they are 3 and 4.  We give them lots of love, patience, grace but at the same time provide structure, rules, and expectations.  Yes, they have to get in a line but I'm not demanding it be straight. Yes, they have to sit on the carpet but to sing songs, learn the ABCs, enjoy books, and hear the love of the Jesus.  Yes, they have to learn to wait for other kids to finish but they are building relationships and making their first friends.  I know what appropriate and not-appropriate goals for a 3 year old look like and I'm not aiming for them to be reading novels in my class.  But education is team-work and in on-going process that never starts or ends with one teacher.  In PK4 the teachers will continue to take what we did for the kids and grow it to something more and when the kids reach 5th grade they will have built on PK3 lessons for 6 years making them amazing! :).  In addition, we are coaching parents and partnering with families during real-life situations happening at home which is a large part of teaching such a young age. At first I didn't know how to respond to this person's comment and the context of the conversation had me thinking he was undermining my job.  Part of me wanted to lock him in my classroom for an hour and see if he came out screaming.  But instead I said it would be his decision obviously and it just depends on his educational philosophy and the school's philosophy and focus. I wouldn't put my kid in just any PK3 just like I wouldn't put my kid in just any high school.

Just a side note- I certainly don't believe sending your kid to preschool is the only way to start the building blocks of learning or teach 3 year old lessons.  However, the families that I serve have chosen to take this route for their child and I believe whole heartedly that we are doing good.

I can't wait to meet my new round of littles. The summer was JUST what I needed and come November I know I will be counting down the days to Christmas Break :) But for now I'm refreshed and looking forward to another year in the classroom.

1 comment:

Marme said...

Another year of very blessed "littles":)

Blog Archive

Contributors