Wednesday, September 12, 2012

On Substitutes

In my past life, known as my college days, a missed day at school was covered by a quick text to a friend to see what I missed.  The response was usually "You didn't miss a thing" or an update on a professor's absurd rambles of the day.  As I prepared for my very first substitute this week, I realized these days are over. forever. Preparing for a sub. is about 3 times more work than if I was there.  I was still making changes to my sub. plans the night before because each day has proved to never go according to plan which changes the following day.  I was slightly embarrassed about the 3 page plans for 3 hour sessions, but there are so many things smashed into the day and so many little details and so many unique needs these little ones have. Sally Sue gets water, not milk! The girls need monitored in the bathroom (they tend to cram 6 into a stale and have social hour)!, Timmy can't have cheese! Nancy is the "Shining Star" today!  Betty freaks out during songs! Blah  Blah Blah! AHH! And did I mention the times on the schedule, oh and heck the ORDER of the things on the schedule go out the window nearly ever day? Okay, I didn't include EVERYTHING in the sub. plans because I am sure the sub. is used to some surprises and the kids will make it through, but I did think about these things all day as I sat in the teacher mentoring class I attended all day (No, I wasn't on some stellar vacation).  I have to admit, there was a small part of me that kind of missed them; even the wild afternooners :).  We had a discussion on Monday about where I would be and what a substitute was, but my heart warmed a little when I heard they were asking about me.  Let's see if my heart still feels warm when I look at the sub.'s notes when I get back :).

No comments:

Blog Archive

Contributors